Monday, July 31, 2006

Cellphones and landlines.

Why do we still see landline phones around when there are these cool gadgets called cellphones available? As I see it, landlines dont seem to have any obvious advantage over cellphones. If there is, let me know.

I know some might think that landlines are way cheaper but then you cant really carry your landline to the office or a party can you? I suppose the extra cost could be accounted for that little feature in a cellphone.

The only reason I feel people keep landlines is to show that they are kind of like... "settled" and they wont be running away anywhere, anytime soon. No wonder many forms ask for your "Home Phone" or something equivalent. Must look kind of prestigious that you actually own a permanent fixed line.

Later.

3 comments:

Ian said...

Howdy - saw you posted on my blog, thought I'd return the favor.

The only reason we still maintain a landline is because of parental concerns: 911 calls from cell phones don't necessarily go to the right dispatcher, and when your toddler is bleeding out his eyes, you might need those precious few extra seconds.

Personally, I'd just as soon lose the extra bill and take my chances.

Ian
Stop by and say hello

Urban Docent said...

Cellphones cook your brain

Anonymous said...

Beecoz you do not have to pay that much when you are at home. As long as you are indoors, it's great to have landline charges keeping you connected. Don't worry, though. Cell phone calls are going to become cheaper.. one day.

Nabila